Monday, September 3, 2007

A New Home



We're in our new place. Whew. This was the biggest move yet, and it got pretty stressful at points. But it was fun, and now I live in a cute basement suite, with nice landlords living above us. And now I'm sick. Icky sick. All flemmy, coughing, sinuses stuffed up, and headache. I'm doing better today then yesterday. I woke up 2 nights ago and couldn't swallow. Oh self induced sickness. But there's many things that still need to be done, so a few tablespoons of Buckley's and Advil will hopefully get me through the day.

So our place is great, it's at the end of a dead-end street, with a path over to Quadra (a main road, with a frequent bus). It will only be around a 15 minute bike ride for me to work (as compared to my 45 minute ride from Gordon Head). Woot woot! And it's a 4 minute bike ride for Joel to work, which is right on Swan Lake (more of an oversized pond, actually). Joel will be able to come home for lunch- hurray! Hopefully that will save us a lot of money!

There's a Thrifty Foods just 3 blocks away, with a Video Store (We rented Disc Five of Planet Earth!) And Save-on-Foods is under 10 blocks, which I like because they have an amazing bulk section and have things that no where else does (Pickles, anyone?) And Douglas st (it turns into the #1 highway) isn't very far, so we're close to almost any bus.

The only sucky thing, is there is no direct bus from Camosun College to here. I'm taking an evening Biology course there, with my friend Heather, because I need to have a first year science. But I'll survive.

J and I hope that us being on our own will help us save money, because there won't be the constant temptation from roommates to spend money. And it was always on silly things, like eating out. But that was also because I hated my kitchen at our last place, I felt like I was cornered off to a dungeon. The kitchen here is a bit better, and the landlord here wants to knock out half the wooden wall (by the fooseball table) to open up the kitchen. I hope we can do that soon! Then cooking will be more fun!


Ooh, and one thing that makes me (& J) super happy, is there's a plug & good lighting in the bathroom! (No plug or good lighting in the last place.) So I can blowdry my hair and do my makeup in there, and J won't be woken up 20 minutes before his alarm by my morning routine.

So that's life in a nutshell of a post.

6 comments:

Mrs. S said...

Would you be interested in reusavle dryer balls? We just got soe in to the store and I thought they might be up your alley... I'm also hoping you'll forget that I asked this come christmas time...

Mrs. S said...

and yah for a new place... can you paint?

Valerie Comer said...

Oh man can she paint! :P

Good to see you're settling in and hope you feel better soon!

Valerie Comer said...

And Barb, aren't we drawing names again? Maybe you'll get ME instead!!

Mrs. S said...

A Val - Can't everyone have dryer balls...
Drawing names was fun... hopefully I get a girl...

And Jen... can you paint your walls in your place? In case I get you for chrissymass

Jen said...

Barb... Yea, we're allowed to paint, our landlords (Who live above us) said they'd even pay for it, if I do the work. Buuutt... we're leaving at the end of Dec. Shhh, they don't know that yet (we're hoping to be able to sublet it out for the 4 months and come back to it.) But you'll see on here if I paint. And Yes, I've been thinking about reusable dryer balls lately... but it's just been another thing added to my list that I haven't gotten to yet... I'll pretend I've forgotten by Christmas...

Thanks Val...I'm starting to feel better. But i still have this wicked flemmy cough, & I was hacking on my bike ride to work. I don't recommend coughing and riding in traffic. It's dangerous.