Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Jen, Running? You must be joking.

But No, I am not joking! I have started running, well, as of today I've started. I can't even think of the last time I actually ran (besides quick sprints to the bus!) To change that sad fact I signed up for the Royal Victoria Marathon's 8km run-- which is just a short 3 weeks away. Our ministry has a team put together called Earth, Wind and Fire (sorta energy related). I figured the only way I would actually start running was if I had a goal, so this is it. I really hope to do the 8km in an hour, but that may be pushing it a little too much.

I went on a run today at lunch with a couple of coworkers, it was 4.5km, around 40 minutes of jogging/walking. And for my first run in years, it felt great (I don't know what I'll feel like tomorrow though)!


I went out and bought myself a shiny pair of running shoes, since I didn't even own a pair. If anything will help me run, it's a pair of pretty shoes. See:


Wow, what a changing last few months since working here. I didn't ride a bike, now I do almost everyday. I didn't run, now (hopefully!) I do.

Now if only I can have as much success at my Mom and M.in.L with getting in shape....

5 comments:

Karenee said...

Yeah, Jen! Y'know, I do not think of doing things like running in marathons. It's a good idea!

Jen said...

Thanks! I thought it would be good motivation. Either practice and get good, or look like a fool. Hopefully, after this I'll be over the initial hurdle of getting started, and be able to continue running. :D

momdonna said...

yeah, good for you honey, as a bonus you'll be in great shape for backpacking in S.A. As a side note now that I'm feeling healthy again. I've gotten back to the gym, after almost a month away. But as a bonus, no weight gain while I was away. Keep us posted on your progress.

Valerie Comer said...

Wow, kiddo. Nothing like jumping in with both feet! I'm betting you're sore today, but it'll get better. Good job!

Jen said...

Mom- yea, getting in shape for S.A. is my plan. I want to climb as many mountains as possible! Good job on no weight gain in the time off! I hope you can keep loosing more pounds as quickly as you were before!

Other Mom- Yea, I was definately sore today. And to top that off, yesterday was the first day of a 'womanly' month for me, so I was doubly sore. But I figured the best way to loosen up was to run again today. So I did. And I stretched good, and I'm happy again. :D