Sunday, September 23, 2007

Whew. What a fun weekend!

Friday night was the Tegan and Sara concert! They rocked out to their new album, The Con, and to their last one, So Jealous. Those girls have voices that send chills through my spine, and it was so intense live!

I slept in Saturday morning until 11:30. Mmm, I loove sleeping in. Then my friend Heather & I went shopping for jewelry supplies. We have a table at the college here booked on October 18th, and then twice more in November. So we have to get all our displays ready, make tons of jewelry, make bags to put peoples jewelry in, etc etc. It's so much work! But really fun!

Then last night was the Current Swell concert! I danced all night long, and a long night it was. I went with Heather, and her roomate Mandy (also a good friend of mine). Oh fun girly times.... I didn't get home until reeaallly late... And then slept in until noon.

Good times.

AAANNNDDD.... I get to go to FOSS4G (Free and Open Source Software for Geospatial). I'm sure that's Greek to most of you- so basically, it's a conference for FREE GIS (Geographic Information System) software. Why is this so important? Because the GIS program I use, ArcGIS, costs around $10,000 for a licence. Which is obviously ridiculous and completely unobtainable for anyone besides governments or corporations who want to use it. GIS is such a useful tool that everyone should be able to use, and not be limited to those who can afford it.

Their websites says The annual Free and Open Source Software for Geospatial (FOSS4G) conference brings together the people who create, use, and support open spatial software. No other event brings together members of the open source development, open data creation, and open standards promotion communities like FOSS4G.

This is going to be an overwhelming and incredible experience. I am so lucky for my work to be paying for this, because the fact is that it's not directly related to my job (because I use that expensive software). This is such an amazing opportunity for me, I'm blown away that it's HERE- in Victoria- this year, because next year it's in South Africa...and I definately won't be going. I just hope that I'm can absorb all the information! The conference is Tuesday until Thursday, so it also means my week will probably just fly by!!

WOOT WOOT!

1 comment:

momdonna said...

your right it does sound like greek, but your explanation works. sounds like you'll have a busy but interesting week. glad to hear that the social life is still good too. enjoy.