Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Who Knew??


Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich

Who knew it was so easy to change the world?

The next time you pack this all-American sandwich for lunch, you're helping the environment and making a difference in animal welfare. You don't have to change your whole diet to change the world. Just start with lunch.
PB&J

How to Help the Environment at Lunch


A PB&J will slow global warming.

Next time you have one you'll reduce your carbon footprint by saving the equivalent of 2.5 pounds of carbon dioxide emissions over an average animal-based lunch like a hamburger, a tuna sandwich, grilled cheese, or chicken nuggets.

That's about forty percent of what you'd save driving around for the day in a hybrid instead of a standard sedan.

If you were going to have a ham sandwich or a hamburger, you save the equivalent almost 3.5 pounds of greenhouse gas emissions.
A PB&J will also save water.

That's about 280 gallons of water over the hamburger. To put this in perspective, three PB&Js a month instead of hamburgers will save about as much water as switching to a low-flow showerhead.
A PB&J will save land.

Have a PB&J and save 12 to 50 square feet of land from deforestation, over-grazing, and pesticide and fertilizer pollution.

From: PB&J Campaign
Photo from: UncommonIndustries

5 comments:

Karenee said...

Yuck, Yich, Ewww...

I'm a peanut butter and honey fan. Do you think I'm killing the environment with that one small change? Except I need to make my own peanut butter because I heard about allowable bug ratios and it's hard to eat commercially produced peanut products now.

Hanna said...

mmmmmm buggy goodness

Jen said...

Allowable bug ratios?? That's kinda creepy (& crawly). Is it hard to make your own peanut butter? I think I would like to try that one day.

And I think honey's okay, but I don't know how much water a bee drinks....

Mrs. S said...

Bees drink the honey even if their honey isn't being harvested and you can buy honey from say my inlaws

Jen said...

bees drink honey?! That's amazing! Barb- I love that your in-laws are Bee Ranchers.