Sunday, July 15, 2007

Simple Solutions...

I'm starting a Simple Solutions post, full of well- simple things you can do in life that will make the earth happier. I'm going to focus on the small ideas that can make a big difference... you guys give them a try, and collectively we can bring change.

I'll start with two things I know are easy, because I've been using these Simple Solution for a couple of years now.

SS # ONE: Coffee (or Tea) Mugs.

This was a pretty easy one, especially for a coffee connoisseur (aka: addict) such as myself. All I do is carry around a travel mug with me all the time. Simple, eh? I bring a coffee in a mug from home to work when I'm on the bus, and use it at work. When I'm in school I just chuck it in my backpack, because a class is always better with a cup of java.

I've estimated it out too, I usually have one, sometimes two, coffees a day. If I was using paper or Styrofoam cups, that upwards of 700 cups a YEAR!! I think my simple solution has made an impact, I mean, less of an impact!!

SS # Two: Reusable Grocery Bags.

I love reusable grocery bags. I simply love them. They can hold at least 4 plastic bags worth of goods, don't rip, pack nicely with yummy food in them, usable for many things besides groceries. And it's SIMPLE! I'm organized enough to know what days I'll be stopping by the grocery store after work, so I'll just chuck the bags in my purse. Or when I'm going shopping on the weekends, I just grab them with my grocery list. It's really not hard at all!

I dare you to buy the bags the next time you go shopping. You won't go back to platic. I promise.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


The Rant that comes along with...

Disposable coffee cups and plastic bags drive me crazy. I can't walk down any street without seeing a plastic bag or a take out cup littering the sidewalk or stuck in storm drain! It was also ridiculous the number of bags I had stashed from grocery shopping under my sink--and they aren't even useful for putting garbage in because they usually had holes in the bottom!! And I've read they can take upwards of 500 years to decompose!! Just imagine all the people who use them, how many they use in a lifetime, and the number's uncomprehendingly gargantuan.

But there is a SOLUTION.

Now- what are you waiting for! I dare you, buy reusable grocery bags on your next trip (it will only cost an extra $4 or so) and you'll never go back.

Ooooh, I have another note... (sorry my SS post is getting so long, I just have so many thoughts!) The town of Leaf Rapids in Manitoba is the first in Canada to place a bylaw against plastic bags! Hurray! Go Leaf Rapids Go! Check out the story!

I don't know if NO bags is the answer for all towns, because weeny people would put up a fuss. But what could be done is creating bylaws saying only biodegradable bags (usually made from corn oil) can be used, and if the businesses want, they should be able to charge people for the bags. I think this would highly encourage people to use reusable bags.

So that's it. The first of many Simple Solutions to come your way. Please keep me posted if any of you try them, and let me know how it worked for you. And let me know what your Simple Solutions are!

Happy Earth!

2 comments:

Hanna said...

I bought Craig and I reusable Frappe cups at starbucks yesterday. They are so cute and even have the domed lid and a straw. Mine is dark pink and his is blue....

Jen said...

I know exactly what ones you're talking about! I looovee them, they're so cute! Go Hanna Go!