Sunday, January 7, 2007

Money is a poor substitute for having an interesting life

So basically, life is great everyday, but especially yesterday and today.

Lets start with yesterday: it was the Junior Hockey World Finals, Canada and Russia, Canada wins, 4-2. Then last night Vancouver and Edmonton played, and Vancouver won. That puts us in a 6 game winning streak! Yes! (What has Joel done to me???)

Then last night I go onto my UVic account to see how much tution they're going to suck out of me this semester and (*drum roll......*) I have a $500 credit with the school! Joel and I both recieved $2900 busaries from the school and Joel got a $1000 scholarship from Elk Valley Coal. He has a $1500 credit. This is incredible, I've never heard of anyone having such a large bursary. I had been expecting around $1000 each, tops $1500, but $2900. I'm taking it as a sign that Joel and I are heading in the right direction, and it feels very comforting.

I read a fantastic book today (I said it was a great day, didn't I?) It's called How to Save the World in Your Spare Time by Elizabeth May. (Dont' snicker at my dorkiness! Read Chapter One for yourself, here) You may have heard of Elizabeth May as of lately, she is the new leader for the Green Party of Canada. So this is exciting, she's extremely good at getting what she wants (she's a lawyer), I think the Green Party may have more of a future.

The other cool thing about May is that she's a Christian too. I had been getting the sense from reading this book, and about half way through the book she says Jesus is her Lord. It was great, she's talking about how distruction of property has only been appropriate in one situation: when Jesus caused havoc in the temple when the moneylenders were doing inappropriate business. That's the only time it's been okay, because ruining other peoples things isn't going to help anyones cause. So it's great to hear of Christians in politics, and not ones like they have in the States. (I'm not judging, I just have a hard time seeing the connection that fighting terror is justifiable under God.)

Oooh, life's also exciting because I'm getting involved with the a Student Committee on reducing student debt by providing grants - not loans. We're paiting posters this week, and having a Soup Kitchen for Starving Students in a few weeks (we also had one in November) to raise awareness for a ralley happening in Feburary. It should be exciting, we're hoping to have a BBQ on the lawn of the legislature building (I guess that's to attract a lot of students with free food, and maybe catch some politions at the same time?)

No comments: