Saturday, August 25, 2007

It's Official!


Joel and I are going to South America. We're flying from Vancouver to Lima (Peru) on January 11th, and leaving Santiago (Chile) on April 14th. There's no turning back now, the tickets (& insurance) has been bought- almost $3000 for the two of us. *ouch* I don't think I've spent that much on anything besides tuition.

We've decided to take a semester off classes, and by the end of April we'll have been out of school for an entire year! In May, J and I both got GIS (Geographic Information Systems) coop jobs until August, and we've both been asked to extend our terms until the end of December. Obviously, it's an amazing opportunity to learn more about a job, because these past 4 months has just scratched the surface. We have been blessed enough to *coincidentally* get two of the best paying jobs, for two of the most understanding employers ever (side note: my Mom passed the belief onto me that coincidences are God's way of having people in the right place at the right time) Anyways, this opportunity with our coops is also providing us with the chance to save money--besides just making ends meet. :-)

We decided South America is the place for us, 'why' you ask?
~Want somewhere not English speaking
~Patagonia & the Lake District
~Want to learn about cultures & ways of life different from our all consuming parasitic Western life
~Learn to tango and/or salsa...other J just doesn't know it yet
~Penguins, condors, flamingos, viscacha (check them out!!)

I could go on forever about how excited I am & the things we'll be doing... so I'm staring a blog devoted to our preparation, and we will be posting on it whenever we get the chance down there. Oh how the internet has made my life beautiful. No matter how much I want to live a simpler life, I cannot imagine it without the internet.

No comments: