Sunday, July 15, 2007

Going Green!

Want some inspiration and other ideas?? I just came across a news report by CBC called 'Shades of Green' and at the bottom people are posting their ways of going green. So many people out there with Simple Solutions, and some pretty Substantial Solutions too!!

I wrote in my 'Shade of Green' was, here's what I said:

This is great reading everyones 'green ideas', good work!! Collectively we can change!!

However, I feel we're missing a big piece.

'Going Green' means reconnecting with the earth, with our neighbours, and ourselves. I don't mean it in a weird hippie way, just simply, we have forgotten that humans are just another piece of the ecosystem. We can't keep building concrete cities and suburbs, excluding ourselves from nature. Why do you think people are so happy and easy going when they're camping, but so uptight and rude when in the city?? Get Outside!!

Next, how many people don't know their neighbour?? I don't know most of mine. We need to reform those community groups, build strong connections with each other, and remember what it's like to call on a friend for a favour. It's not rude- everyone likes to feel wanted!! And what if your neighbour knows how to fix your bike, and you can make yummy treats, why not trade?? Save money, save the environment...save your sanity!!

Going Green to me means living a balanced life, where I know my place, and it's just one small part of the whole ecosystem.

2 comments:

momdonna said...

amen, it's so much nicer when you know your neighbours and help each other out. prime example: my neighbours boat had been in a building that burnt, it had major smoke damage, and insurance wanted him to use a chemical cleaner that was going to be major expensive and very harsh, he kept putting it off not likeing to use chemicals. Roy came along and recommened sunlight dish soap, and some elbow grease. Worked wonderful and now he's enjoying the boat in the lake.

Jen said...

Mom! Thats fantastic! I can't believe they were going to make him use harsh chemicals, when dishsoap was the solution. How many other people don't put thier foot down when there's a healthier, easier fix?? Good job on Roy's part!