Friday, May 4, 2007

Discovery Island!

I've tried to narrow down the pictures that I post, but if you want to see all the shots go to joelcomer.com . Joel's working on his website and has the beginnings of it up.

So this is Discovery Island, just over 6 kilometers south of Victoria, it is a small, uninhabited island accessible only by privet boat or kayak.

On our first full day on the island we walked around the island, one group of 4 went East and Joel, Cory (the guy with the boat), & I went West. We agreed to stay along the coast and meet up for lunch half way.

These Oak Ferns were all over the island, they're bright lime green, hairless, and grow up a stalk!


I have yet to figure out what these guys are...if anyone know, please tell me! I've looked in all my plant books and haven't found them. They were fairly common, growing to about 5 inches tall.

I found just one small patch of these Few-Flowered Shootingstar, and they are soooo pretty!

Wild Daffodils!

Pretty Wild Flowers

Everywhere we went flowers were in bloom. I was a happy girl!

This rare Yellow Lily was my prize finding flower.
There were fields of the pretty Chocolate Lilies, but I found only 2 Yellow Lilies!

These next two shots are of the Common Camas flower.
There was huge wildflower fields of them, purple flower everywhere!

The purple & yellow contrast beautifully on the flower
...the camera just doesn't capture it the same...

This is Death Camas, the entire plant is deadly poisonous!
Natives used to grind up the bulbs and use it as arrow poison - cool eh?


Goose Egg! The Geese were nesting on Discovery, and we even saw 5 little yellow baby geese!

The gorgeous view!

We also saw tons of seals on rocky outcroppings of shore, and a number of otters. There were lots of Bald Eagles and Turkey Vultures, and sea birds. Not to mention the sea anemones, crabs, oysters, and varieties of sea grasses!!

The trip was amazing, a perfect start to a summer of adventures. It was also a good test run for the summer- there was no fresh water on the island, so we had to pack in everything for our 4 days.

I can't wait for more adventures!

4 comments:

Hanna said...

Beautiful! All I have here are dandelions....thank goodness I am leavin this silly province.

momdonna said...

it looks wonderful, and I'm glad you guys had a good time. Wish more flowers were out here.

Valerie Comer said...

Very cool!

Unknown said...

Hi i operate a website on Discovery Island and was wondering if you would give me your permission to use your excellent pictures on my site.

Hear is my website: http://www.discoveryisland.ca

Email me at: info@discoveryisland.ca

Thanks,
Tom J.