Friday, April 20, 2007

Life Update

School ended and somehow I seem to have less time than I did before. How does that make sense? It's suppose to be my vacation time. So what have I been doing with my time, you ask?

I went and worked for my Uncle's landscaping business, and spent three days (Mon - Wed) this week in a million dollar garden. No joke, it's this mulit-million dollar home in Vancouver - they have 14 bathrooms, 38 Plasma TVs, and gold-foil on the ceilings in the kitchen and one of the offices! It was great working outside, the weather was pretty good, and I was around plants all day. And it made me happy that I'm not rich, never have been, nor ever will be.

Yea! Joel got a job! He will be working with the District of Saanich as a GIS assistant (Geographic Information System). The job is perfect for him, a great learning opportunity as this is what he wants to do for a career. I'm stoked, he's stoked, and it feels good to start getting life on track towards careers.

School seemed to end well, I ended up with 3 A's in my Human Geography courses, and a B in the GIS course. Joel got an A in the GIS course, but only B+'s and A-'s in Human Geography. It's been interesting this year for the two of us finding our personal interests, even though our major is the same. But Joel's doing a Bachelor of Science, and I'm doing a Bachelor of Arts.

I've started gardening on my deck! After writing my paper on Urban Agriculture I figured I should practice what I researched. I have two planters of lettuce, a cherry tomato plant, some chives, oregano, and started some carrots, zucchini, dill, and spinach from seed. I'll keep you all updated over the summer. I hope they do okay, however, I did kill a cactus last year....

I found the COOLEST book ever! It's called World Changing: A User's Guide For the 21st Century. Check out the website! The books is about how people are adapting to a changing world, because the fact is that the globe is warming, population is exploding, the gap between the rich and poor is increasing, and natural resources are quickly being exhausted. Our lives must change if we want to provide a future for coming generations. The book addresses everything from Shelter, Cities, Communities, Business, Politics, and the Planet - all in 600 pages. It's huge! You will all being hearing much more about it as I get through it this summer.

Al Gore ( An Inconvenient Truth ), introduces the book by saying it " is a compendium of solutions, some little known, but well proven, some innovative and new, some bold as yet untried. This book not only shows what is already possible, but also helps all of us imagine what might be - in our own homes, in our communities, and for the planet as a whole. Taken together, these solutions present a picture of a future that is not dark or catastrophic, but one that is full of hope and within our grasp. To build that future, we need a generation of everyday heros, people who-whatever their walks of life-have the courage to think in fresh ways and to act to meet this planetary crisis head-on."

I'm excited for the future!

3 comments:

momdonna said...

Jen remember you are rich, in good works, love and family. That is what is important, remember you'll never see a hearst with a u-haul.

Karenee said...

Ah, for the useless massive houses of the rich and famous. The only good thing about a house that huge is that you could quite easily shelter a whole lot of people under the roof and host friends and relatives without stacking them to the ceiling.

brian said...

HEY HOW DID YOU DO ON YOUR LICENSE i wanna know cause then i can beat both of my sibiling to the licenses mwahahahaha :D