Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Thoughts for the day

I'm suppose to be working on homework right now. I'm sitting in the library at school, listening to Mozart on my laptop trying to work, but my brain just isn't focusing. So in distracting myself I thought I'd share with you all what I just read.

- Half the world's wetlands were lost during the last century.
- Logging and conversion have shrunk the world's forests by as much as half. Some 9% of the world's tree species are at risk of extinction; tropical deforestation may exceed 130 000 sq/km per year.
- Fishing fleets are 40% larger than the oceans can sustain. Nearly 70% of the world's major marine fish stocks are over-fished or are being fished at their biological limit.
- 20% of the world's fresh water fish are extinct, threatened or endangered.
- Soil degradation has affected two-thirds of the world's agricultural lands in the last 50 years.
-Since 1980, the global economy has tripled in size and population has grown by 30% to over 6 billion people.

Hmmm, a little depressing and humbling. Who are we as humans -stewards of this world God that has graciously provided us with- seem to think we can abuse everything? We have done unfathomable and irreversible damage to this earth with little or no foresight. Ugh.

I am very thankful that I grew up in a family, and married into a family, who showed me at an early age the wonders of camping and being outside, and being told since a child that humans are not at the top, but God is. I attribute those two things to where I am today and my perspectives on the world. Thanks Guys! I only hope that I can help make this world a better place for my children.

[We] cannot use the same methods that got us into this problem to get us out of it.
- Albert Einstein.

3 comments:

brian said...

Albert Einstein is one of the most amazing men ever did you know he started peta but yeah like who are we to think that god gave this to us to do to it as we please with it yeah thats not really his plan and i'm betting hes gonna be distroying it pretty soon o yeah thats is my 2 cents on it but yeah see YOU TOMARROW !

Hanna said...

and mercury in our fish! Whyyyyy. Everyone's like "don't eat the fish" I say "why is there mercury in it! Why does no one care!"

momdonna said...

I'm glad some of the things I tried to teach you stuck. By the way have I told you lately that I am very proud of you and Joel. Keep up the good work.