Thursday, June 7, 2007

What's Your EcoFootprint?

Do you ever stop to wonder how much of an impact your daily life is having on the environment? Think of everything from food, electronics, and clothing to transportation. One way to attach a number to this is to use a EcoFootprint calculator. There are a number of EcoFootprint calculators out there, and all differ from each other - but the point is getting an idea of how much Earth is takes for us to live (very comfortably I may add!) So I checked one out on from my all-time favourite stores - Mountain Equipment Coop (MEC). Check it out for yourself here

Honestly, I like to think of myself as a fairly eco-friendly person. I've been biking everywhere lately (side note- I've been biking to work, and last week I clocked over 100km of biking!!!!) And during the school year I lived on the bus (or at least I felt like I did). My house had 6 people living in it, we recycled more than we threw away. I try to buy only BC grown vegetables- organic when feasible.

But it's not enough.

The Results:
Category/ Global Hectares

Food 3.1
Mobility 0.4
Shelter 1.0
Goods/Services 1.1
Total 5.6

If everyone lived like me, we would need 3.1 Earths...but God only gave us one. I guess it's time for some sacrifices.

I want a Happy Earth.

4 comments:

brian said...

CATEGORY GLOBAL HECTARES

FOOD 1.1

MOBILITY 2.3

SHELTER 0.6

GOODS/SERVICES 3

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 7



IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 8.8 GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 1.8 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.




IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 3.9 PLANETS.




i suck haha oh i'v gone vegitarian

brian said...

i did the 8 random facts check it out:D

momdonna said...

ouch, to many planets needed, guess i need someone to live with me and share my space. what do you think.

Hanna said...

4.1 planets